Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tale Of Two Tribunals

On 29 September, after 5 months of complaints about illegal work on Unit 1 next door to me,
 I wrote a 28 page letter with dozens of photo's and delivered a copy to Neil Noye Of Hobart City Council, as well as the Managing Director Mr. Pitt of Pitt and Sherry as well as Government Minister David O'Byrne as well as the Greens (the 100 year old Walnut Tree is apparently dying -- 3 years of driving over roots with cars bobcats and graders might have something to do with it).

 The next day a Tribunal on Unit 1 was launched but no-one was informed because it was done in a "hurry." I was informed at 3.00pm the day before because I happened to be at Council with Tony Jacobs trying to get a meeting with Neil Noye. I made myself part of the proceedings along with Tony Jacobs who will be my advisor, adding another 7 points to the 5 points that Council are following.


Council has listed 5 points for a "demolish" order, but to my despair have left out what I consider the most important points, the Height and Setback discrepancies. A second Tribunal has been launched regarding the close to 100 year old Walnut Tree. It is apparently dying and Council have now given permission to cut it down. I am in an appeal, along with neighbours Alistair and Jenny Home.

What has me gobsmacked is that after 3 years of complaining about the tree being hacked with a chainsaw, driven over roots with all manner of mechanical devices, all of which I photographed and reported to Council but never heard a thing from, let alone a 3 metre barrier never being put up as required by Heritage to protect the tree which was deemed to have significant heritage value (a tape barrier was thrown around the tree just before a Council blitz towards the end).....now the tree is reported to be in poor shape!

I have made myself part of that proceeding too, alleging Unit 2 is built closer to the tree than planning permitted and also being built too high.

At this point Council is doing an "Audit" on Units 2, 3 4. A survey was done on Unit 1 and it was deemed to be "correct in height". This is a point on which I differ.

No comments:

Post a Comment